Here are our top 10 friendly reminders on electric bike etiquette and safety:
- Remember that you are riding an ebike, not a motorcycle! Follow the rules of the road that non-ebikes are subject to, like hand signals when turning, yielding to pedestrians, etc. Do not ride on sidewalks!
- Be familiar with local speed limits and other laws that apply specifically to ebikes, and abide by them.
- You are an ambassador for ebikes. That means you want to positively represent yourself and the industry by being extra courteous to non-ebike riders. You are aiming for looks of envy, not anger!
- Do not pass other bikes, electric or otherwise, unless you can do so safely and without inconveniencing them. Offer a smile and friendly word when passing (“passing on your left… thank you!”).
- Be careful around motorized vehicles. They may not be expecting you to be faster than a pedal bike. Watch for car doors opening in your path.
- Be seen! Use lights, reflectors, etc. to make sure you are visible.
- Use consideration in parking your bike, keeping clear of other bikes, vehicles, pedestrians, etc. Lock your bike and battery.
- Avoid distracted riding! Keep your phone in your pocket, bike bag, etc. Remember that your DJ Bike battery has a USB port allowing you to charge your phone while riding.
- Ride with a buddy, and always have your phone (and charger) with you (while still obeying rule 8!).
- Always wear a helmet. It's the cool and safe thing to do.
Be safe; be seen; be courteous. And have fun while you’re at it!